Tuesday 6 August 2013

Fishing Memories 6-8-13



I was thinking today about early fishing memories when i was a child.It all started about 1978,well i think it was.We fished two waters,one was the Dam at pendlebury and the other was Clifton marina,which now is called Manchester park lake.Most of our summer sessions were at clifton marina,a 12 ft shakespeare float rod and an intrepid reel,it was all float fishing.They were building the m62 motorway and in the middle of the marina was a telegraph pole with phone lines coming from it.Our local tackle shop belonged to eddie battersby.It was only a small shop with a glass counter,tackle in the window.Me and my mate used to window shop,simply because we never went in without any money.

Eddie was a nice guy,handy my uncle new him well,got my first air rifle from there aswell.Shame the shop is now a loans 2 go,the last owner was just not commited enough,simple............................

My first seat box was a plywood construction wrapped in pvc,a nice cushion though.My mate said dont buy that,it weighs a ton,i said we get the bus.By the way he was right,walking up to the bus stop at clifton was a killer,but it was comfy................................

We spent most of our time catching gudgeon,well i did.I was really into it by now and asked my mum could i upgrade my reel to a better one,mum replied ask your dad.I did and was told i could not have a mitchell match or an abu ,anyways settled for a mitchell 324,happy now.

We used to colour our maggots red with cake colouring,we were covered in the stuff and it wouldnt wash out,lol........

Now wheres my maggot box,oh dear its in the garage in an old cupboard,you can guess now,lid off flies out and run......................

My biggest regret from quiting fishing at the time i left school to pursue a golf career was selling my stuff.
My uncle knew a rod builder in bolton and took me too his house as a treat and he built me a custom fiberglass rod for spinning,8ft.I miss that rod........................................

I did find the original mitchell 324 box at my mums,full of hair curlers.I purchased a mitchell 324 at a car boot,just for sentimental reasons
Mitchell 324....................................


Original Box......................................


Not a minter......................................

No comments:

Post a Comment