Saturday 15 December 2018

Smelt Is King 15-12-18

We decided to fish a Resovoir for pike today.The weather wasn't looking good,strong winds with rain to follow,I,hate pike fishing in the rain.We sorted our pegs,Chris would float fish both rods and I decided to fish one on the ledger down the margin to a overhanging tree and then float fish one in the margin in front of me.My baits were herring on ledger and smelt on the float rod.It wasn't long before my ledger rod went only too lose the fish,on inspection of the bait I had bite marks in between both trebles.I Recasted to the same spot and clipped up my drop arm ,then I heard this bang and thought what the hell my float rod has fell of the bank sticks into the water as I tried to get my landing net the rod slipped away into the deep margin.As I saw the butt dissapear I had to compose my self as I thought was it a pike that had pulled my rod in ,had I not set the baitrunner ??????????????????
I reeled in my other rod took the bait off and cast in searching the margin,luckily I new the make up of the bottom as I'd feeder fished there and new if a pike had took my rod that it couldn't of got far,after 3 casts and help from Chris I was reeling my rod in and unbelievable there was a pike on,I guided the rod to the surface and Chris grabbed it and safely landed the pike.

Hooked in the scissors,rod back and this has never happened to me before .
It wasn't long before  Chris,s float dipped and sailed away for his first pike of 2018 and his first in over 5 years.
The face you pull when it's a jack ..............
The wind had really picked up and after the nightmare I'd experienced I was now fishing both rods on ledgers.Chris had another bite and the fish came off.He didn't have to wait long before he landed his next pike.
A nice pike for Chris his second on smelt.The rain looked like it was gonna come down earlier than forecast and the wind was up and it was damn cold now.Chris would get another run but that fish came of aswell,a busy day for Chris .Nothing was happening for me before Chris had his third pike in the rain ,yet again to smelt.
Looking at the fish it seems a repeat capture of his second fish.
As the afternoon came the rain was persistent and didn't look like clearing ,we packed up at 2-45pm cold wet and a few pike under our belts.
Chris 3 Pete 1 All on smelt.
Onwards and upwards for the next Pike session.
Tight Lines .

1 comment: