Sunday 31 July 2016

3 Barbel Twitches

Well after last weeks blank on a rainy evening last Saturday where I bumped what felt like a chub off 
That was my only action of that night.So last night I headed up to the river with a long walk in mind.
I arrived at the river loaded up the barrow and off I went,I was looking at various swims along the way and I settled on a swim about 100 yards past where I'd scored 4 barbel a couple of weeks ago .
The river was low and clear,there were two other anglers fishing about 90 yards away down stream from me crashing big feeders and firing pellets out .I opted to fish one rod and if nothing happened within the hour I'd move below where I had fished before.I had been there now just over an hour fish were topping and i had managed just a few twitches ,Doubt was setting in now,should I stay or should I go .In just over an hours fishing I was casting on average every 20 minutes to get some bait down .
Total opposite to me the 2 guys downstream were filling the river in crashing feeders out there probably spooking the barbel into not feeding on there spots.The evening was blue skies and lots of cloud cover and quite warm.By 8 pm I was getting a few twitches and pulls and now I was feeling confident again.
I was now contemplating shortening my hook length when the 3 foot twitch came and after a few crazy runs I pulled my first barbel over the net.
And what a cracker it was,around 8-20 pm,well chuffed as I saw the two anglers who were down stream packing up.Got me thinking now,there's an option ,go fish over there bait,but I didn't .
So now I got my other rod out before dark,plan of attack was casting that rod every 15 mins with a bigger feeder,pellet on the hair and after probably 4 casts just leave that rod out and concentrate on my other rod ,topping up the swim .As darkness fell I was getting some really quick twitches now and was looking good for a bite.As the time went by I could hear a clutch going on the far bank an angler had set up just before dark and was into a good barbel,would it be my turn soon.Then around about 10-30 after having no action to the pellet rod I was just getting up to reel the rod in to change to boilie
No time as soon as I stood up my rod pulled over violently,I leaned into another crazy fight in the low water conditions and finally after a few good runs I finally pulled my prize over the net cord another lovely barbel.
After I'd took this pic,I waded out into the river and rested the fish in the net,I walked back to sort my rod out,and boom the pellet rod was off,what a crazy run this barbel went on,my clutch was melting 
And I still had a barbel in my net,no chance of netting this one with one already in the net,so here's me playing what could be my best fish of the night trying inbetween runs to release the barbel from my night,which was no easy task.I managed to get the barbel out of the net and on its way,but this one was taking me all over place .Finally have two more runs near the net,I netted what looked and felt a double.I rested the fish in deeper water.Got everything ready and it went 10.8 a new PB and my second ribble double .
What a beauty.10.8
Same fish was well pleased on what was a slow night and I did the right thing in the end sticking it out like I did.So after this fish I re baited both rods cast out,poured a celebratory Coffee lit a cigarette and kicked back for 15 minutes.Nothing happened so I packed up and took the long walk back to the van .
Tight lines bloggers,Till the next time .

No comments:

Post a Comment