Sunday 5 January 2014

Back To Basics 5-1-14

I was reading another blog sometime back,it went something like this,ive read quite a few blogs lately,they seem to be either not fishing or there not catching.Well im fishing but im not catching,so ill carry on bloggin.

After my last session i started to evalulate where i have either been going wrong,or the pike are just  not feeding .I decided to go back to the begining of my start in pike fishing,float fishing for them,but with  a more mobile approach.

The weather again this week has been unsettled with heavy rain and strong winds.I checked my weather channel,which by the way is bang on,i could of either gone saturday or sunday,there was going to be some rain either way.

I left home this morning early,so i could arrive just before first light.There was a slight frost on the van,and the temp was around 4 degrees when i arrived,the water was coloured.

I made my way to the swims at the bottom of the lake,the plan was to fish a swim for 30-40 minutes.
At 11 am i saw a pike strike on the far bank,i was now in my fourth swim.i moved again to my fifth swim when it started to rain,i decided as i wasnt far from the van to grab the umbrella and head to the other side of the lake,i set up in a peg i fancied and fished one rod mid water,the other next to lillie pads.

At 2-30 i packed up,put the gear in the van and headed to an area i hadnt fished and chucked lures for 20 mins.Today i have learned more about the water ie the depths and im sure ill be back.........................
Scary Tree.............................................


Another scary Tree.............................................................

I will be out again soon,need to get my enthusiasm back,i hate blanking,but sometimes it cant be helped.
Tight Lines........................................................................................................

3 comments:

  1. Good read Pete, keep your chin up pal a big girl is imminent, you've earned one m8

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the logic going on here, but I’m usually quite reluctant to change swims that often on still waters. Personally I think that, especially in cold water, if you are in a known area and there should be pike in front of you they won’t eat until they feel like it, usually sometime in the day but not definitely. Also, in my main haunt, I think that feeding fish move around looking for food and will eventually find your baits – if you’re lucky. Moving swims means you may miss these fish.
    We once dropped a fish on a pikes head and it completely ignored it, even after twitching and flicking it. We left the bait in front of the fish and 2 hours later it picked it up. I think deadbaits is just a case of putting the hours in once you know the water.
    The exception to this would be lure fishing where a lot of the time you are trying to provoke a reaction from the fish.
    Good blog and nice to hear more from people ooop north

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input Ian I will take it on board ,thanks

    ReplyDelete